This post comes a bit late, so some of you may already have heard the news: KDE Edu will ship a new application in 4.4: Cantor*.
Cantor is an application that lets you use your favorite mathematical applications from within a nice KDE-integrated Worksheet Interface, and offers assistant dialogs for commonly used functions like solving equations or integrating/differentiating a function. It currently has support for three Backends Sage, Maxima and R.
It is aimed to fill the gap, most free software math packages have, compared to proprietary systems: an intuitive to use graphical interface.
Some of it’s most important features are:
- View of plotting results inside the worksheet or in a separate window
- GetHotNewStuff integration to upload or download example worksheets
- Typesetting of mathematical formulas using LaTeX
- Backend aware syntax highlighting
- Tab completion and integrated syntax help
This is how it looks:
* It is named after mathematician Georg Cantor, the creator of Set Theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Cantor